Balustrade and Handrail Load Testing
With over 20 years’ expertise in balustrade & handrail load testing, Accolade Measurement’s engineers have comprehensive practical experience in barrier load testing. Our extensive range of bespoke barrier load testing rigs allows us to quickly load test any barrier.
Barrier load testing we provide
• Horizontal uniformly distributed line load
• Infill uniformly distributed load
• Infill point load
What is a barrier?
A barrier is an element intended to protect persons from various hazards and to restrict or control the movement of persons or vehicles. Barriers can be constructed from a variety of materials – steel, glass, plastic or wood.
Why have your balustrade load tested?
Balustrade load tests are often required to validate design calculations, demonstrate the quality of the installation or confirm the safety and suitability of barriers.
Typical reasons why our clients require handrail load testing:
• After installation on-site (before first use)
• After a recent failure of a similar barrier
• After a visual inspection identifies a potential risk
• As part of a continuous risk management plan
• When there is a change of use in a building
• When there are no historical records for a newly purchased property
Why choose Accolade Measurement?
Our extensive range of bespoke barrier load testing rigs allows us to quickly load test any barrier design. With over 20 years engineering experience Accolade Measurement has an outstanding record in providing accurate and fast barrier load testing in residential, educational, commercial, retail, arts and sporting premises.
All our barrier load testing and reporting is conducted in strict accordance with the following appropriate standards:
• BS 6180:2011 ‘Barriers in and about buildings’
• BS EN 1991-1-1:2002 ‘Actions on structures’
• Home Office ‘Guide to Safety in Sports Grounds, Fifth edition’
• BS EN 1320 ‘Spectator facilities’
• BS 6399-1:1996 ‘Loading for buildings’
Our UKAS ISO 9001 accreditation ensures our services consistently meet our customer’s requirements, and that the quality of our work is consistently improving.
Previous balustrade load testing includes
• Residential – Juliet balcony barriers
• Educational – School & university mezzanine walkway barriers
• Commercial – Office roof terrace balcony balustrades
• Retail – Shop floor staircase banisters
• Arts – Theatre balcony railings
• Sporting – Crowd control barriers